The Church of SS Peter and Michael was designed by John Smith of Liverpool, though Edward Statham (see Our History) designed the windows himself. The choice of dedication was his and the story is told in the second window (see left and Our Church gallery) on the West Wall of the church where St. Edward the Confessor is depicted placing his royal foundation, Westminster Abbey, under the patronage of St. Peter.
The foundation stone was laid by Mr Statham on the 19th February 1834 and the church was opened on the 2nd of July 1835 with Bishop Briggs presiding, and Fr James Crook offering the first Mass.
The original altar, in use until 1947, was flanked by portraits of SS. Peter and Paul by Henry Taylor Bulmer of Preston, whose ''Adoration of the Magi" can still be seen at Upholland College.
The bell, weighing 133 lbs has the inscription "Ruddell fecit 1834" and continues to have a beautiful tone up to the present day.
Inside our church, there are a variety of mosaics depicting significant scenes from the life of Our Lord Jesus Christ which were donated or commissioned over the years. They can all be viewed up close in the Gallery of Our Church accessible from the links above.