The Church of SS Peter and Michael's was designed by John Smith of Liverpool though Edward Statham designed the windows himself. The choice of dedication was his and the story is told in the second window on the West Wall of the church where St. Edward the Confessor is depicted placing his royal foundation, Westminster Abbey, under the patronage of St. Peter.
The foundation stone was laid by Mr Statham himself on the 19th February 1834 and the church was opened on the 2nd of July 1835 with Bishop Briggs presiding and Fr James Crook offering the first Mass.
The original altar, in use until 1947, was flanked by portraits of SS. Peter and Paul by Henry Taylor Bulmer of Preston, whose ''Adoration of the Magi" can still be seen at Upholland College. The bell, weighing 133 lbs has the inscription "Ruddell fecit 1834".
Our Priest: Fr John Gildea
Our Deacon: Jim McGraw
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE TO STAY IN THE LOOP!
We are in the Warrington Deanery, part of the Liverpool Archdiocese.